[Kde-pim] Project: Active Mail

Abhijeet Nikam connect08nikam at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 16:04:26 GMT 2014

Hi Mike,

The email composer API's are presently written in QT/C++. So do we
need to re-write the API's in QML or QT/C++ keeping the present one as
reference? What I have understood is we have to write the API's in
Qt-quick (QML) to enhance the functionality and include new features
so that it is suitable for the touch interface.

I searched a lot, I found some QML related mail clients too. I am also
presently going through the way an email works and its functionality,
protocols to get a better understanding.

But I really need some help regarding the composer API. I am not
really clear about it. Could you please answer some of my questions or
give me a references or sources to go through to start with?

1. What is expected in the API? Where should I give a basic start for it?
2. For the composer : Do we need to completely write the source code
for sending the mail, support for the MIME standard and other
protocols in mails, HTML and plain mail support, converting HTML to
plain text, including the emoticons support plus other things with the
 basic features as attachments, cc, bcc etc?

3. Will we be using the existing libraries and features in kdepim
present like the message composer, message viewer etc for the composer
API or creating our own ones?

4. The existing composer looks filled with lots functionalities,will
it involve recreating them in the new composer which we aim to create?
And could you give me a rough basic idea or blueprint how you aim or
expect the modules for the API to be develpoed?

5. How about also creating a basic small chat box for faster text exchanges?

This is the first time I am writing a proposal, so I don't have a
clear cut idea of the things to include. I would be really grateful to
you if you answer them.

And could you please elaborate more on the error in the tool bar
layout? I am also waiting for the junior job :)

Thanks and Regards,
Abhijeet