[Kde-pim] note format

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at gmx.de
Tue Mar 18 09:38:18 GMT 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-17 at 15:35 +0100, Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Monday 17 of March 2014 15:25:19 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > On Monday 17 March 2014 14.42:48 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > It seems indeed to be an alias according to kdepim-runtime 72b7c09d5, but
> > IMO we should decide for one as i.e. the kolab resource now uses text/x-
> > vnd.akonadi.note and application/x-vnd.akonadi.note while the notes
> > resource uses application/x-vnd.kde.notes. IMO we should go with text/x-
> > vnd.akonadi.note as specified in kdepimlibs/akonadi/notes/noteutils.h.
>
> +1  for vnd.akonadi.note
>
> However we can't just remove it, we can only make sure that all new items are
> created with the new mime type.

Won't that confuse apps which have not been updated yet?

Suppose I have a collection containing application/x-vnd.kde.notes, with
the corresponding KDE app only knowing about
application/x-vnd.kde.notes. Won't it be problematic to create new
application/x-vnd.akonadi.note items in the collection, if that's
accepted by the collection at all?

Note that I am speaking of the existing KDE + Akonadi here, as found on
current distros, in combination with a SyncEvolution which tries to
implement this migration to application/x-vnd.akonadi.note as the "real"
type for notes.

Regarding the current situation, why has this not caused problems
before? Could it be that KDE's type (application/x-vnd.kde.notes) is the
one that is really used in practice? Wouldn't it be better to deprecate
application/x-vnd.akonadi.note if that's the case?

Bye, Patrick