[Kde-pim] KHolidays regions

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Mon Jun 23 16:41:46 BST 2014

On 20 June 2014 19:49, Justin Eberlein <jmeberlein at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at the new file format and naming scheme, here's my current idea
> for Christian holidays.
>
> *The universal stuff like Christmas and Easter would get one file per
> language: holiday_xx_*language*_christian.
> *Catholicism gets an extra file, potentially per country.  (Some days get
> moved around.  For instance, depending on where you are in the world,
> Epiphany is either Jan 6 or the Sunday after Jan 1)

Yes, these are the sort of splits I envisage, the global files should
be for dates that are universally agreed for a religion or
organisation, so I suspect will be more specific, like say Saint's
Days.  Where you have local variations then I don't think it's great
usability to make the user select two different files to get what they
want, so you'll probably need to duplicate the common holidays in both
places, with the global file using the more common option.  One of the
big problems we have with the current file format is that we have no
inheritance system where you could automatically include all the
contents of a general file into a national file and choose to override
certain values, but it's in the design for the new file format.

One thing to note is that I don't envisage removing all religious
holidays from the main national files, as I think some are of
sufficient national and cultural significance to rightly belong there,
especially when they are public holidays.  Christmas and Easter are
the obvious examples, but other countries also have other religious
holidays deeply embedded in their cultures and to remove them without
local advice on what is appropriate could be insensitive.  It also
helps to know why you're the only one who came into the office :-)
[Note I'm a pragmatic atheist and find it faintly absurd that some
people can get so worked up over a mere 4 religious holidays being
included in the US file.  Don't like them?  Just ignore them like I do
with commercial marketing days like Valentines].

> *Then as another universal file, I might make one with Sundays.  I'd
> probably just make them cultural or seasonal.  This is just because I find
> it handy having my laptop be able to tell me which Sunday of the year it
> is.  I might be lazy and name it Catholic, but I know it'd apply to several
> Protestant denominations.

You mean just a Sunday number, like in a week number?  I'd call it
exactly what it is, Sunday Numbers, make sure it doesn't confuse
people with a generic name..

> Finally, I have two requests:
> 1) As implied, can we add christian as a supported variant tag?

I've added it as a file variant, even though I'm not sure how useful
it will be.  I've also added a few more variants for the different
Jewish and Islamic divisions.

> 2) For the religious files, is it fine if I break convention and go
> December-November, instead of January-December?  The liturgical calendar
> starts 4 Sundays before Christmas, so it might be easier for me to remember
> everything that way.

The parser evaluates a Gregorian year-at-a-time, so for example all
the holidays falling in 2014, so in that aspect it cannot change.  You
can sort-of get the same effect for yourself by simply listing the
holidays in liturgical order in the file, the parser will still just
evaluate and list it by calendar year though.

Cheers!

John.