[Kde-pim] Regarding threading (in response to http://www.progdan.cz/2013/11/email-threading-in-kmail-your-help-is-needed/)

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Jan 10 22:28:22 GMT 2014

On Thursday 09 January 2014 19:31:31 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 January 2014 00.02:58 Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > Just quickly: I tried this setting for some time now, and it breaks
> > approximately 10-20% of my threads, which is too much for comfort,
> > apparently I talk to too many people with broken mail readers.
>
> I can confirm that it breaks for me as well quite often. For instance
> if I am part of a thread but don't receive my own responses, the
> subject threading keeps the thread nevertheless together, but the
> perfect/by references threading doesn't.

Hmm. Threading by references should still give the correct result
because the References header should reference more than one generation
of parent messages. Therefore, missing messages shouldn't matter.

I'm absolutely sure that it worked this way in the past (i.e. before the
message list rewrite). I can confirm that it does not seem to work
anymore. That's definitely a regression.

Regards,
Ingo