[Kde-pim] How can I make Akonadi sync events ?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Feb 16 12:20:41 GMT 2014

On Saturday, 2014-02-15, 21:28:03, Martin Koller wrote:
> On Saturday 15 February 2014 14:04:41 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Saturday, 2014-02-15, 13:35:10, Martin Koller wrote:
> > > As my previous mail "akonadi NULL remoteId ... ever set != NULL ?" went
> > > unanswered, I try to rephrase the question:
> > >
> > > I add an event into my calender (owncloude DAV resource) at a time where
> > > my
> > > owncloud server is not reachable (In my case I have e.g. my VPN tunnel
> > > open).
> > >
> > > When does which part of the Akonadi stack send this event to the
> > > owncloud
> > > server or what do I have to do to force it to send this event to the
> > > server
> > > ?
> >
> > When you add an item to Akonadi, it will notify the resource that owns the
> > collection, i.e. the resource gets a call to itemAdded()
>
> Ok, so this would be the DAV groupware resources in this case
>
> > or to its change recorder if offline.
>
> Define "offline", please.

It is a state the resource can be in.
Not necessarily meaning offline as in no network connection.

> In the described case, I'm not completely offline, since I'm connected via
> VPN over the iternet with my company network. Still, I can not reach the
> owncloud server in my local network here at home due to the VPN tunnel. Or
> I had it the other way round: I use the Laptop inside the office network
> when I'm physically working in the office location and not at home, where
> I'm also connected to the internet but I have no access to my owncloud
> server at home.
> Is this situation "offline" for the DAV resource and will it store it in the
> change recorded (Note: I have no knowledge yet how the change recorder
> thingy works or what it is at all)

Maybe. I think the IMAP resource goes into offline state if it can't reach the
server.

> > The resource then needs to process that add and assign a remoteId.
>
> ok, so this involves contacting the owncloud server, which does not work
> now. Will this mean, the creation will be put into the change recorder
> queue and should be retried later ?

I would expect that, yes.

> > You seem to have run into a situation where the resource processed the
> > item
> > add but did not assign a remote id.
>
> yes, that seems so.
> I assume this is a bug in the DAV resource then ?
> checking very briefly the code, DavGroupwareResource::onItemAddedFinished()
> just does cancelTask() and returns in case of an error. (I do hope that I
> get an error in this situation)

Hmm. Maybe cancelTask() is not right here, I could be better to deferTask()
and go offline instead. Maybe retrying connect by timer.

> But then, changeCommitted() is not called. Shall the entry then somehow stay
> in the change recorders queue ? (Where is that change recorder queue
> technically stored ? local RAM, the Akonadi DB, can I have a look what's
> inside that queue ?)

I think the files are in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/akonadi and are called
$resourceId_changes.dat

> > I don't think Akonadi will try to add it again, but what you can try is to
> > move it to a different collection on a different resource and then move it
> > back or create a copy in the same collection.
>
> How can I move an event in korganizer from one collection into another one
> (something I was looking for already) ?
> The "calendar" combo box is always greyed out.

I don't have a lot of experience with the KOrganizer interface, so I would
have tried in the browser tab in Akonadiconsole.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring