[Kde-pim] State of Thunderbird

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Feb 15 10:11:24 GMT 2014

On Saturday, 2014-02-15, 02:49:23, Mark Gaiser wrote:

> But the video - the entire presentation - actually has a bit of a sad
> tone. That guy seems to be very willing to spend more time on
> developing Thunderbird but is simply not getting the time from Mozilla
> HQ. They really need a future vision for Thunderbird.

Indeed. As he explained in the Q&A session, management thinks that web mail is
the way to go, which is double unfortunate for them since the company's main
product is a web browser.

> I hope Thunderbird itself will still exists in.. 5 years.

My guess would be yes. 5 years is probably not long enough to completely get
rid of such a widely deployed product.

However, the part about rewriting the MIME parser in JS made me think whether
their vision is to fold mail capabilities into Firefox at some point.
They might even need/want something like that for Firefox OS.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring