[Kde-pim] GSOC Project Idea - Enhanced Search

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Feb 4 11:04:44 GMT 2014

Hey guys

I've been thinking of enhancing the search dialog in KMail for sometime now.
Now that GSoC is coming, it seems like a good time to act as a mentor for such
a project.

The rough idea is to add extra faceted capabilities in the search results. Eg
- filtering based on date range, people, accounts, collections, etc. This main
difference is that this is done after the initial search results are shown.
Thunderbird's implementation is quite nice [1]

>From the search side, we have a lot of this information and the remaining
stuff can easily be added. I'm not too sure how much effort this would be form
the Akonadi side of things.

The way I see it, it would just be another virtual search collection with
added UI filtering on top. One could either just get all the search results
with the terms and then filter them, or issue new queries.

The next problem is - where does this go? Thunderbird had a concept of tabs,
so it was rather simple for them.

Opinions? Ideas?

--
Vishesh Handa