[Kde-pim] QtQuick ToDo API / Plasmoid

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 19:35:59 GMT 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Heena Mahour <heena393 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I was browsing through the gsoc ideas list and I am interested in
> implementing a Todo plasmoid using akonadi .
> It is a bit similar to the idea I suggested back to Kevin (which he
> proposed in gsoc 2012 ) about plasma integration for akonadi .
>
> So in this idea , what I plan is (correct me if I am wrong , or have any
> suggestions :) )
> Firstly , implement a todo dataengine :
> ->It will do fetch job that is fetch the todo list from korganizer using
> akonadi .
> ->It will show the start date and end date of the todo .
> ->It will show the todo summary
> ->It will show todo status
> ->It will show how much % is done so far.
> (..and as suggested )
> Then , an for developing an applet
> ->QDBusInterface will be used to make d-bus call and connect to dbus signals
> ->the applet will be developed first using Qt4.7
> After that , a QML frontend will be deveoped to fetch the todo list using
> the dataengine .
> After that , since plasma is now plasma2 .This plasmoid shall be ported to
> Qt 5.2 and QML 2.0
>
> Suggestions ?
>

> Let me give a brief introduction about me as well :
> Well,I like contributing to KDE and is using kubuntu since two years .
> I was a season of kde 2012 participant in kde-edu .Later,I contributed to
> plasma-workspace in google summer of code 2013 by porting plasmoids to
> plasma2 .
> I also mentored in google code in 2013 and have resolved few kde bugs as
> well .
> I am kind of interested in developing plasmoids .In kde-pim,I have
> submitted a few patches in calendar as well :) .
>
> Regards !

Hi Heena,

The idea is nice but you will face some real hard difficulties in
doing what you want to do.
You can't do this for Plasma Next. The reason being Qt 5.x. The
kdepimlibs are all still Qt 4.x based and not yet ported to Qt 5.

You can do this if you port kdepimlibs to Qt 5.

Another option would be to use QDBusInterface like you suggested
already. But is that worth the extra trouble?

Regarding the dataengine. As Michael said, that will make the
components dependent on Plasma. Just going for a QML import is the
most generic way to make this work.