[Kde-pim] ktimetracker status & maintainership

laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Mon Dec 8 18:44:12 GMT 2014

Le Monday 08 December 2014 19:21:24 Zoltan Gyarmati a écrit :
> Dear All,

Hi,

> after using ktimetracker on a daily basis since a couple of months, last
> week i decided to look into its annoyances and try to fix them, maybe
> even adding some new features, instead of starting to implement my own
> solution :)
>
>  Looking around it seemed that the project definitely could use some
> care, so to get myself familiar I more-or-less fixed a few bugs and sent
> review requests with my patches (see at
> https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/users/zgyarmati/, and the bugs #285160,
> #225139, #215783, #304778, #340650).

Good to know it.

I will try to take some time to look at your patchs.

>  At the weekend i also looked into the historical context, and dug out
> from the git logs that the component was removed from master back in
> May, and that a few months before that the maintainer orphaned the
> project (see http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=138106648612783&w=4 ).

Yes I removed it, because not maintainer, no improvement from many years.

>  So if it's not too late to revitalize the project, i would like to take
> over the maintainership. According to the Debian and Ubuntu popularity
> contest's pages still there are a couple of users out there, and also
> there are some fresh bug reports and even patches at bugs.kde.org, so i
> think it would worth it.
>
>  My conception would be to first review the existing (numerous) bugs (i
> think a couple of them is ALREADYFIXED or even WORKSFORME), and fixing
> at least the serious ones in the 4.14 branch, doing some code cleanup,
> maybe add a few previously requested small features.

4.14 is close for features.

But bug fixing is authorized.

>  In the next phase i would do the porting to Qt5 and Frameworks (right
> now it can't build, although seems to be straightforward to port it),
> and adding a couple of new features, and a certain level of maturity
> proposing to merge it back into master.

If you start to maintain, port to qt5, add new feature I am not against to
make it relive in master.

>  As i don't have any previous experiences in the KDE community, it's
> unclear for me how to proceed with this. Is it enough to write this
> mail, or should i consult specifically with somebody? Who can reassign
> the existing bugs to me? My workflow would be to send my commits to the
> reviewboard and somebody will promote it to the git repo, or after a
> ramping up period i can get direct git access?

Reviewboad is a the good way when we start on a project.

Regards

--
Laurent Montel | laurent.montel at kdab.com | KDE/Qt Senior Software Engineer
Tel. France +33 (0)4 90 84 08 53,  http://www.kdab.fr