[Kde-pim] ktimetracker status & maintainership

Zoltan Gyarmati mr.zoltan.gyarmati at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 20:39:36 GMT 2014

On 12/08/2014 08:07 PM, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Monday, December 08, 2014 07:21:24 PM Zoltan Gyarmati wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
> Great to have a new maintainer and some new blood in the kdepim project.
> Welcome.
>
> I do see that you are attempting to add new features and new translatable strings.
> Unfortunate timing, because that stuff can only be added to the master branch
> at this point in the release cycle.. and the master branch is currently under going
> some massive changes due to the qt5/frameworks5 port.
>
> but certainly bugfixing can be done in the 4.14 branch.
>
> -allen
>
>> after using ktimetracker on a daily basis since a couple of months, last
>> week i decided to look into its annoyances and try to fix them, maybe
>> even adding some new features, instead of starting to implement my own
>> solution :)
>>
>>  Looking around it seemed that the project definitely could use some
>> care, so to get myself familiar I more-or-less fixed a few bugs and sent
>> review requests with my patches (see at
>> https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/users/zgyarmati/, and the bugs #285160,
>> #225139, #215783, #304778, #340650).
>>
>>  At the weekend i also looked into the historical context, and dug out
>> from the git logs that the component was removed from master back in
>> May, and that a few months before that the maintainer orphaned the
>> project (see http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=138106648612783&w=4 ).
>>
>>  So if it's not too late to revitalize the project, i would like to take
>> over the maintainership. According to the Debian and Ubuntu popularity
>> contest's pages still there are a couple of users out there, and also
>> there are some fresh bug reports and even patches at bugs.kde.org, so i
>> think it would worth it.
>>
>>  My conception would be to first review the existing (numerous) bugs (i
>> think a couple of them is ALREADYFIXED or even WORKSFORME), and fixing
>> at least the serious ones in the 4.14 branch, doing some code cleanup,
>> maybe add a few previously requested small features.
>>  In the next phase i would do the porting to Qt5 and Frameworks (right
>> now it can't build, although seems to be straightforward to port it),
>> and adding a couple of new features, and a certain level of maturity
>> proposing to merge it back into master.
>>
>>  As i don't have any previous experiences in the KDE community, it's
>> unclear for me how to proceed with this. Is it enough to write this
>> mail, or should i consult specifically with somebody? Who can reassign
>> the existing bugs to me? My workflow would be to send my commits to the
>> reviewboard and somebody will promote it to the git repo, or after a
>> ramping up period i can get direct git access?
>>
>> Please let me know your insights and comments,
>> thanks in advance,

Dear Laurent and Allen,

thanks for the comments on the patches and the welcoming words.
I'm going update the review requests.

@Laurent, where this qt5 porting work could be done (since the code is
not in master)? Would it be possible to create a branch for that in the
kde-pim (something like ktimetracker-next), and then merge it into
master when we think it's good enough, or would be more preferable if i
keep it first in my own publicly available git tree somewhere, and pull
it from there into the mainline master at some point?

--
Bests,
Zoltan Gyarmati