[Kde-pim] configuration in akonadi-next

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 13:39:03 GMT 2014

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 02:31:26 PM Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Daniel Vrátil <dvratil at redhat.com> wrote:
> > There are usecases when sysadmins want to pre-configure users' Akonadi on
> > first login to have their email, corporate calendar etc. configured. This
> > would be difficult with KAccounts (IMO). I'm much more in favor of
> > following
> > the current approach of each resource instance having it's own config file
> > in
> > ~/.config/akonadi (wouldlaos  make migration much easier for us). Just my
> > $0.02.
>
> Technically I think that having pre-configured stuff would be possible with
> KAccounts,
> the existing accounts are stored in just a sqlite database.

Shipping a pre-configured sqlite database is much harder than shipping an INI
file.

> Plus I'd assume you'd have to authenticate to that corporate account on
> first login anyway?
> What I did in KTp is when it finds a Telepathy account which is not stored
> in KAccounts, it asks for password (which it would anyway because no stored
> password exists) and if you choose to save the password, new account in
> KAccounts
> is created for that Telepathy account.

Exactly: you ship full config with username and everything (you know username
form LDAP or by current username), the only thing missing is password. When
you first start KMail, it tries to sync, resource finds it does not have
password and asks for it. You type it in, confirm KWallet and it's done.

> However, I believe that the config should indeed be rather stored in it's
> own config file.
> The reason is smaller overhead compared to starting and querying KAccounts.

Also storing full configuration in (binary) database is evil and simply wrong
:-)

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
Software Engineer - KDE Desktop Team, Red Hat Inc.

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348