[Kde-pim] Excessive amount of queries

Pablo Sanchez pablo at blueoakdb.com
Sun Dec 7 21:21:37 GMT 2014

[ Comments below, in-line ]

On 12/07/2014 01:16 PM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

>> Independent of the actual storage mechanism, doing less will always be more
>> performant than doing more.
>
> Actually, and perhaps somewhat surprisingly, that's not universally true.

I'm sure there are corner cases but /generally/ speaking, 'less is
more'  :)  You may not agree and that's fine.

I'm old enough now to not get into long protracted debates.  There are
some misconceptions about SQL you've posted that are out of scope of
this discussion (but I'll gladly discuss offline with you.  Assuming
you're receptive to learning.  :)

If 'akonadi's needs are truly name-value pair, you are correct that an
RDBMS is /not/ what you want.  Implementing name-value pairs in an
RDBMS is a sure fire way to become non-performant.

As I mentioned early on in the thread, I've worked with /very/ large
hardware and systems and made them scalable.  Just recently, we had a
multi-million dollar AIX box which wasn't scaling as the load
increased.  I re-wrote some of the SQL (to make up for the poor DB
design) and now it scales.  Not as great as I'd like but good enough
for the client.

Please keep in mind Aaron that I have an ulterior motive:  I want to
ditch Thunderbird and start using Kmail2.

Take care!
--
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926         Blog:  http://pablo-blog.blueoakdb.com