[Kde-pim] Excessive amount of queries

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Dec 7 18:28:56 GMT 2014

On Sunday, December 7, 2014 16.42:08 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > I think you are missing the point, Aaron. The question should be: Why do
> > we
> > even need 500k query round trips per second for a mail application?
>
> I think that is a very good question.

The answer is in the math.

(1 / 500000)second/query == queries cheap enough to not worry if you are
firing 1000 queries a second. 1000 queries becomes 1/500th of a second (there
is sloppiness in that math; it will almost certainly be more than that, but
not by an order of magnitude).

If 1000 queries is 10% of one relatively high frame-rate frame in an
application GUI (60fps), it suddenly just doesn't matter if you slam 1000
queries out the door. The user will not notice the difference between 100 and
1000 queries if the wall clock difference is 1.8ms.

Developer effort can then be spent on other things. We also won't need to
worry about similar performance problems cropping up again when someone else
comes along and implements the next bit of code.

Case in point: the new Zanshin codebase. It's quite nice, but we see
performance problems appearing there that have been solved elsewhere in PIM
before. The Zanshin developers are quite competent, that's not he issue; it is
just too easy to "step in the shit" with the current system.

(previously mentioned concepts like storage-layer memoization, query-level
dataset sharing, etc. will also help if/when we get to that.)

--
Aaron J. Seigo