[Kde-pim] configuration in akonadi-next

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 12:59:50 GMT 2014

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:52:28 PM Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 21.07:26 Michael Bohlender wrote:
> > I agree with the per account (resource) configuration UI and I want to
> > work
> > on it.
>
> Awesome :)
>
> So some implementation details .. in the akonadinext repo there is
> common/resource.h .. it contains a class called ResourceFactory which is the
> class which is loaded from a resource plugin. It creates Resource objects,
> registers the data facades and should provide some API for handling
> configuration of an account.
>
> Given the name of a configured account, it should be able to provide a UI
> with the values loaded; without a name it should provide a "blank" UI. It
> would be very special if the UI was done with QML and was able to adapt in
> future to the device form factor ... sounds like a job for a KPackage of
> QML :)
>
> Configuration data should probably end up in a standard location and use a
> standard format (QSettings?). The config UI needs to write them, and the
> Resource class needs to be able to read them. In turn that implies that the
> Resource constructor will need to take a name with which to load its UI.

> ResourceFactory::createResource() and Resource::Resource() need to accept a
> name for configuration purposes.
>
> > How does this relate to KAccounts in your mind?
>
> It would be up to the resource. For local resources which have no account
> (e.g. a local ical file) it makes no sense to use KAccounts. For remote
> resources requiring authentication, KAccounts makes lots of sense.
>
> For those resources, in a "perfect world" we'd use KAccounts to hold the
> configuration data,

There are usecases when sysadmins want to pre-configure users' Akonadi on
first login to have their email, corporate calendar etc. configured. This
would be difficult with KAccounts (IMO). I'm much more in favor of following
the current approach of each resource instance having it's own config file in
~/.config/akonadi (wouldlaos  make migration much easier for us). Just my
$0.02.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
Software Engineer - KDE Desktop Team, Red Hat Inc.

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348