[Kde-pim] Excessive amount of queries

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Dec 7 21:21:58 GMT 2014

On Sunday, December 7, 2014 21.49:02 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> > > I think that is a very good question.
> >
> > The answer is in the math.
> >
> > (1 / 500000)second/query == queries cheap enough to not worry if you are
> > firing 1000 queries a second. 1000 queries becomes 1/500th of a second
> > (there  is sloppiness in that math; it will almost certainly be more than
> > that, but not by an order of magnitude).
>
> I think… it still matters. Cause its the attitude in my eyes that makes all
> the difference.

I'm suggesting we put that attitude in the frameworks underneath the
application code.

then application code matters a lot less.

> When I look at this ThinkPad T520 with dual SSD BTRFS RAID 1 and dual core
> Intel Sandybridge i5 with 2,5 GHz, which can overclock itself to upto 3,2
> GHz and compare it with that Sam440ep 667 MHz PowerPC system running
> AmigaOS 4.1 from a plain 500 GB SATA harddisk, I easily get the lession
> about what efficiency truly means

i <3 amiga :)

my focus is very very much on efficiency and performance. the current akonadi
is amazingly inefficient and, just as bad, pushes complexity outwards (a
symptom is having to add caches to what is really a caching system). the
developers worked with what they had at the time, and i do not fault them for
that one bit, but what they had wasn't efficient.

we can make akonadi efficient enough with today's concepts and tehcnology that
our current "inefficient" application code just wont matter much anymore.
tweaking things like "we ask for the number of messages in a folder 100 times"
simply will not matter because it will not show up anywhere near the top of a
profiling run.

this, btw, is really how those old platforms achieved most of their
efficiency: they took all sorts of shortcuts and did amazing / ridiculous
optimizations below the applications. toolkits in ROM, crazy assembler tricks
... yes, the apps were also written by people who cared ... but when the OS
below you is insanely optimized it doesn't matter quite as much.

(i was there :)

> And it matter related to power consumption anyway… everytime things can go
> in sleep states as they do not have to do anything, you save power. Thats
> important for any kind of portable devices. And it is also important in
> general.

time to completion is (almost) all that matters for that.

--
Aaron J. Seigo