[Kde-pim] Excessive amount of queries

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Dec 7 20:49:02 GMT 2014

Am Sonntag, 7. Dezember 2014, 19:28:56 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Sunday, December 7, 2014 16.42:08 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > I think you are missing the point, Aaron. The question should be: Why do
> > > we
> > > even need 500k query round trips per second for a mail application?
> >

> > I think that is a very good question.
>
> The answer is in the math.
>
> (1 / 500000)second/query == queries cheap enough to not worry if you are
> firing 1000 queries a second. 1000 queries becomes 1/500th of a second
> (there  is sloppiness in that math; it will almost certainly be more than
> that, but not by an order of magnitude).

I think… it still matters. Cause its the attitude in my eyes that makes all
the difference.

When I look at this ThinkPad T520 with dual SSD BTRFS RAID 1 and dual core
Intel Sandybridge i5 with 2,5 GHz, which can overclock itself to upto 3,2 GHz
and compare it with that Sam440ep 667 MHz PowerPC system running AmigaOS 4.1
from a plain 500 GB SATA harddisk, I easily get the lession about what
efficiency truly means, especially when I notice that the AmigaOS 4.1 on that
considerably lower spec box behaves just like it had that Intel i5 and the SSD
RAID 1 while it does not and the KDE / Plasma system on the ThinkPad doesn´t
feel more responsive than the AmigaOS 4.1 system, while, at the same time, the
hardware it runs on is easily ten or more times as fast. (And sure, I know
that the AmigaOS 4.1 setup and the Debian Sid + KDE/Plasma setup do not
compare in term of features and functionality.)

But of course when doing for performance, its good to for the opportunities
that give the best performance boost first. Still that doesn´t make efficient by
default programming any less important.

And it matter related to power consumption anyway… everytime things can go in
sleep states as they do not have to do anything, you save power. Thats
important for any kind of portable devices. And it is also important in
general.