[Kde-pim] Status of calender ical directory resource

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Apr 13 18:32:25 BST 2014

On Thursday, 2014-04-10, 20:08:23, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 10. April 2014, 15:28:21 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > Hi Martin,
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> > On Thursday, 2014-03-27, 14:04:14, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I always liked the approach of the contacts resource, to use a directory
> > > of
> > > vcf files instead of a single file, but found that my calendar was still
> > > using a single file in the traditional location
> > > ~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics which was about 7 MiB already. I do
> > > journal entries in my calendar as well and sometimes attach files to
> > > appointments I like to include within the calendar itself.
> > >
> > > I thought that it would be nice to have this as folder of ics files as
> > > well. And found this to be possible with akonadi_icaldir_resource.
> > >
> > > Now I have a few question regarding this:
> > >
> > > 1) Why isn´t it used?
> >
> > You mean as a default?
>
> Yes. Just like the new one contact per file based address book which std.vcf
> got migrated to quite some time ago.

I guess it didn't exist yet at some point and nobody added a change to make it
default when it appeared.

It does sound like being the better default, with a location in $XDG_DATA_HOME
just like for contacts.

I don't think it is worth the effort of adding migration but using it as the
default in firstrun might be worthwhile.

> > > 2) What is the status of it, is it considered supported and stable? More
> > > on
> > > my findings about this in a moment.
> >
> > No idea, but since it is part of the module it should be fixed if it is
> > not.
> I completely moved to it and it appears to work reliable here.

I am not using any local calendar so I wouldn't know if there were any
important differences between the dir and file resource other then the storage
itself which would make the dir variant a bad default.
It does sound like the better choice to me.

> > > 3) Why can I not set a name for it like with ical file resource? I can
> > > set
> > > a name in Korganizer, but not in Akonadiconsole via "Configure
> > > Natively".
> > > Consequently it shows as akonadi_icaldir_resource_0 in Akonadiconsole
> > > instead of the name I set for it in Korganizer. Is this just a missing
> > > feature?
> >
> > Most likely. Probably just doesn't save the name when it gets a new one.
>
> Hmmm, okay. It looks a bit awkward in Akonadiconsole cause its the only
> resource here with its original technical name "akonadi_icaldir_resource_0"
> – thats why I asked.

Is that also the name that is displayed for its calendar entry in KOrganizer?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring