[Kde-pim] Akonadi: single database design mistake?

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu May 2 11:44:42 BST 2013

Am Donnerstag, 2. Mai 2013, 12:34:24 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> So or so: The hardware is capable enough for handling 6,7 GB of mails.
> KMail  did it. If KMail is unresponsive for minutes, its a bug in the
> software.

KMail-1 did it.

And I don´t want to be rude or offensive, but I think its important to realize
that KMail 2 / Akonadi as of KDEPIM SC 4.10.2 and Akonadi 1.9.1 and MySQL 5.5
still has performance issues even on high speed machines with SSDs.

But I suggest to keep by measurable data and keep speculation out of the game.
I am happy to provide more through bug reports, atop logs, well with a little
guidance also MySQL logs and what not.

At least this morning on POP3 retrieval I have seen a MySQL load of 100-200%
for more than 5 minutes and KMail being unresponsive during that time, and
heck if thats not an issue where the database is not involved, I don´t know
what is. It might still not even be the database. It might be too many or too
inefficient queries or what not. I did not come to a conclusion. I have some
MySQL performance tuning knowledge, but it is still rather basic.

Maybe also switching to MariaDB with a more performant backend can help. But
that would be something that is better decided if more data is known.

Is anyone here willing to help with gathering performance data? I think that
would be more constructice than ranting around about design issues that may
not really exist.

I am happy to start a new thread with that.