[Kde-pim] messagelist folder switching

Jos Poortvliet jos at opensuse.org
Thu May 23 08:27:55 BST 2013

On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 09:44:19 Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> On Monday 20 May 2013 23.35:31 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > Hmmm, wouldn't fixing the filters not be the 'proper' solution?
>
> And how do you think the filters should be "fixed"?

If threads end up over different folders something might have went wrong - but
I can imagine situations where it is that way...

> > What you do sounds like a workaround for a problem, rather than taking
> > advantage of a feature...
>
> Unless one were to stop all sorting of mail into folders, which for me is
> not an option, this feature is extremely useful. You cannot know in advance
> which view on the mail view you want later. The only reason this feature
> would become useless would be if Kmail would stop using a folder based
> concept altogether.

hmm, treating folders as tags (a la gmail) doesn't solve the problem either, I
suppose - actually, that is kind of what you want/do...

But wouldn't search be able to do what you want as well? search for an aspect
of the thread? Perhaps an option to show an entire thread (using search in the
background) on a mail?

I fully understand the need to seen an entire conversation - keeping stuff
together is important. I just wonder if selecting-several-folders-at-once is
the only solution to it and perhaps finding another is worthwhile considering
the costs of keeping this feature?!

But please, if I'm just wasting time, tell me, I know I know little of this.