[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection: Searching not Reliable

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 19:55:47 GMT 2013

Sorry I can't be more specific than this, I've been trying to narrow it down
for weeks but there's just so many issues.

Test Bed is a Gmail account with around 20,000 msgs. I've removed the account
and re-added with disconnected mode enabled and a clean nepomuk index.

I've forced a nepomuk reindex from scratch many times. I've built clean VM's
and let them sync and index over the course of days. All of them fail
searching badly.

- Inaccurate. Searches are just not finding messages that match simple
criteria. It seems to be worse in some folders than others. I have folders
where a subject search on "" returns only half the messages in the folders,
others were its only missing a few.

- Inconsistent. Searching on root folder + subfolders returns X msgs.
Searching on All returns Y msgs. Y is always larger than X and seems to
consist of folders that weren't found in X.

- Doesn't update. Msgs sometimes take hours to get into the index. Sometimes
they never do. I see this often with "Msg Status = Unread".

- Saved Searchs update erratically, if at all.My std Saved Search is "Msg
Status = Unread". This is always massively out of date within a day. The same
search run manually shows a completely different result.

Basically searching is completely broken. My guess is that its the indexing.

It needs to be close to if not at 100% accurate to be useful, currently it not
even at 50%.

On the plus side :) where its working its *very* very* fast. Full text search
on a 12,000+ folder is an order of magnitude faster than Thunderbird. But were
only talking seconds, so its not a difference the average user will care
about.

It does do the initial sync of msgs much faster than Thunderbird.

--
Lindsay Mathieson