[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Wed Mar 20 21:39:05 GMT 2013

On 2013-03-20 21:37, Anders Lund wrote:
> Data posted here are from akonadi-console.

That is actually not the question I asked.

You must have populated the calendar with data somehow.

> There appears to be problems with retrieveing one of my owncloud
> calendars
> since I updated owncloud to 5.0. New events are fetched, and I can add
> events,
> but older events are not recognized. They are displayed in the
> owncloud web
> interface and on my android phone though. Other owncloud calendars
> works fine.
> (they are in the same server, owncloud allows to have multiple
> calendars)

Yes, but as far as I know ownCloud only provides "dumb" CalDAV/CardDAV
storage.

A full server would provide capabilities of addressing the different
vendor flavours of CalDAV/CardDAV in existence and map them to an actual
canonical storage format, which CalDAV/CardDAV is not. Otherwise there
is a good chance that a fully standards compliant implementation in the
Akonadi server and a fully standards compliant implementation on
ownCloud would still have problems exchanging data.

Google will allow you to find plenty of instances of multi-client
CalDAV/CardDAV setups having compatibility issues, e.g. for Zimbra. So
even full groupware servers (which ownCloud is not) struggle with this.
I'm not sure this is what is actually happening, but it is entirely
possible the problem is not actually with the Akonadi agent and that it
correctly reports invalid data, while ownCloud and the CalDAV client
you're using on Android happen to understand each other well enough that
you got lucky.

Either way: Supporting dumb CalDAV/CardDAV stores is a bit outside the
scope of Akonadi, I guess, as it would mean that it would have to have
compatibility provisions for every single client out there, which should
normally be handled by the server. That means this would be a feature
request, and while a lacking feature of course results in "could be
better" user experience from the user perspective, it is not in and of
itself a usability issue.

Question would be: Do we know of CalDAV/CardDAV servers that work
against this Akonadi agent?

Best regards,
Georg

--