[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

O. Sinclair sinclair at orionweb.info
Tue Mar 19 09:19:09 GMT 2013

On Tuesday 19 March 2013 9:59 AM Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Saturday 16 March 2013 12:34:01 O. Sinclair wrote:
> > On Saturday 16 March 2013 8:49 AM Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > > I know it is too late, but what about memory usage? Eating >300 mb of
> > > ram
> > > is hard to justify, KMail+akonadi+mysql+nepomuk however happily eat up
> > > 1gb and don't stop there - 2, 3 GB is quite normal it seems. That is
> > > just insane...
> >
> > On Kubuntu 12.10 using KDE 4.10.1 I see nothing near 2-3 Gb RAM..
> > Nepomuk (virtuoso-t) takes what I give it (350 Mb), sometimes more for
> > some reason. The others nothing significant, akonadi +100 Mb, mysql 75 Mb
> > and Kontact 103 Mb. That gives me roughly 625 Mb in total
>
> How about:
> http://wstaw.org/m/2013/03/19/plasma-desktopro1663.png
>
> Note that that is ONLY kmail, no Kontact - it requires 450 MB which is
> mostly because I haven't opened many folders yet. I'm sure I can balloon it
> to 800 mb by just iterating over my (disconnected-imap) folders but then my
> 8GB ram computer will come to a grinding halt so I'd rather not do that.
>
> Oh, I restarted akonadi and kmail yesterday due to excessive memory usage.
>
> Right now, my mysql is at 440 mb, Akonadiserver eats 300 mb, the nepomuk
> feeder 140. Just filtering on the word 'Akonadi' in ksysguard reveals a
> little over 1GB of ram. Yeah, that one Nepomuk process eating 1.5 GB ram is
> an impressive outlier ;-)
>
> This is after a couple of days of keeping my computer on. I laugh at your
> 625 mb ;-)
>
> How about a competition? Who can get Akonadi/Nepomuk memory usage up
> highest? Do I win?

Yes you win - I have never seen anything near that. Only difference I can
think of is that I often switch off my computer as my job require I move
around and I have a laptop.

So there could me memory leaks I do not see as I reboot several times a day.
Or it could be something whack with your config

But as memory consumption goes you win outright...