[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Mar 22 14:32:34 GMT 2013

Am Dienstag, 19. März 2013 schrieb Jan Kundrát:
> On Tuesday, 19 March 2013 10:09:16 CEST, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > but maybe showing the contents of a folder with 30K mail can not be
> > done without using 1GB of ram
>
> To offer some perspective, it's definitely possible with other clients.
> Right now, ksysguard is saying that Trojitá is using 169876kB of RAM
> when I'm looking on my gentoo-dev archive (58578 messages). Four other
> bix mailboxes (26043, 26196, 37165 and 10496 messages, respectively) are
> loaded and present in memory at the same time and I'm using a threaded
> view which itself eats quite some space. There are some plans on cutting
> the memory usage further down in future -- the approach which is used
> now is a rather dumb one as we basically don't free any memory until the
> connection dies.

An idea might help a bit as well:

In Zimbra groupware web interface I can access a folder with more than
350000 mails (linux kernel mailing list) within a *few* seconds. Whats the
trick with this (I never have seen this anywhere so far, but I never tried
mutt on that amount of data or Trojitá, KMail from KDEPIM 1 just doesn´t
want to display this folder via IMAP in any reasonable amount of time at
all)?

The web interface doesn´t insist on displaying a list of *all* 350000 mails
at once. It just displays a threaded view on the first say 500 mails or so.
Only if you scroll down more is fetched quite quickly.

And now since Akonadi and Zimbra both use a database, Zimbra uses MySQL just
as Akonadi does in standard settings, I bet Akonadi-based KMail can do
something similar?

Heck, my screen is too small to display a list of more than 350000 mails, so
why bother doing the work at all unless the user requires to see more of the
list - or - and that may add a complication types something into the quick
search bar.

Still memory leakages or extrem memory usages are good to be fixed. But this
might be an additional approach to keep both work needed to be done and
memory usage down. I bet if instead of loading 10 displayed folders with
about 50000 mails each, just loading those 10 displayed folders with their
most recent 1000 mails, can save quite some work and memory. As I saw this
idea, I just thought: Why didn´t anyone think on this further?

If interesting, I´d create a wishlist bug for that.