[Kde-pim] coding-style for KDEPIM

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Thu Mar 7 17:43:48 GMT 2013

On Thursday 07 March 2013 16:19:32 John Layt wrote:
> On 7 March 2013 15:26, Allen Winter <winter at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 March 2013 11:26:43 AM Guy Maurel wrote:
> >> As discussed at the KDEPIM meeting, Berlin, 3 March 2013, all the files of
> >> KDEPIM will be reviewed to follow the coding style. This will be done over a
> >> long time, directory after directory, for each of the rules.
> >>
> >> I opened a new URL for that:
> >>    http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Kdepim_Coding_Style
> >>
> >> This is still in construction.
> >> Please, have a look to my proposal and comment it.
> >> Any suggestions, fixes are welcome.
> >>
> > Guy,
> > We already have a coding style page at
> > http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Development/CodingStyle/Korganizer
> >
> > So you can copy that in and make changes as needed.
> > Then remove it.
> >
> > I do object to the 4 space indent level. I like 2 better.
> > especially if we keep to a 100-char line length limit.
> >
> > I need to change Krazy checker accordingly.
> >
> > Why can't we do one big astyle change all in one go?

> Finally, there was some mention that it can't be fully-automated as
> there are many sections of code where it would be dangerous, such as
> over-the-wire protocols, so all changes need to be checked and tested
> before committing.

My experience using astyle is that it can't be used fully automatically. It always seems to do things you don't want it to do, for example its handling of indentation on comment continuation lines. It might work largely unsupervised on some modules, depending on how the code has been written, but might need a lot of manual adjustment afterwards in other cases. It would not be wise to do a quick blanket reformatting with astyle.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.