[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Christophe Giboudeaux cgiboudeaux at gmx.com
Tue Mar 19 11:23:39 GMT 2013

On Tuesday 19 March 2013 11:43:06 Volker Krause wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 March 2013 09:59:39 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > >
> > > On Kubuntu 12.10 using KDE 4.10.1 I see nothing near 2-3 Gb RAM..
> > > Nepomuk (virtuoso-t) takes what I give it (350 Mb), sometimes more for
> > > some reason. The others nothing significant, akonadi +100 Mb, mysql 75
> > > Mb
> > > and Kontact 103 Mb. That gives me roughly 625 Mb in total
> >
> > How about:
> > http://wstaw.org/m/2013/03/19/plasma-desktopro1663.png
>
> ouch, this is far from normal...
>
> I see the following here (also measured with KSysguard, full debug build
> from recent master, on top of SuSE 12.2) on my almost never rebooted
> laptop, Kontact with 50 corporate calendars and about 10 multi-10k email
> folders loaded:
>
> Kontact: 440M
> MySQL: 124M
> Virtuoso: 67M
> IMAP: 49M
> Akonadi: 32.8M
> Nepomuk (Storage): 17.3M
> Nepomuk Feeder: 3.9M (yes, Nepomuk and indexing are enabled!)
>
> Still too much and there's room for improvements in various places, but
> nowhere near the extreme numbers you have.
>
> I'm especially surprised that both your MySQL and Virtuoso go way beyond
> their respective configured limits. The only way to trigger that I can
> think of is the attempt to store a huge object inside the database. And
> again, that's limited to 32Mb in the mysql config (so you'd need several
> rows of that in one go), and not done by Akonadi in a default configuration
> (check
> ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc for settings regarding external storage or
> the size threshold of that). A messed up MySQL config would also be a
> (theoretical) option, check ~/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf for the size
> limits in there.

I think using openSUSE 12.2 makes the difference. in 12.3, the mysqld server
was replaced with mariadb by default and this seems to be the cause

With the mysql-community-server (= the 'real' one), mysqld uses ~115MiB at
startup (resources loaded, first sync executed).

The same test with the mariadb package:
On startup, the mysqld process uses ~350 MiB and stops around 377 MiB after the
first sync.

Christophe