[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Mar 19 10:43:06 GMT 2013

On Tuesday 19 March 2013 09:59:39 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Saturday 16 March 2013 12:34:01 O. Sinclair wrote:
> > On Saturday 16 March 2013 8:49 AM Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > > I know it is too late, but what about memory usage? Eating >300 mb of
> > > ram
> > > is hard to justify, KMail+akonadi+mysql+nepomuk however happily eat up
> > > 1gb and don't stop there - 2, 3 GB is quite normal it seems. That is
> > > just insane...
> >
> > On Kubuntu 12.10 using KDE 4.10.1 I see nothing near 2-3 Gb RAM..
> > Nepomuk (virtuoso-t) takes what I give it (350 Mb), sometimes more for
> > some reason. The others nothing significant, akonadi +100 Mb, mysql 75 Mb
> > and Kontact 103 Mb. That gives me roughly 625 Mb in total
>
> How about:
> http://wstaw.org/m/2013/03/19/plasma-desktopro1663.png

ouch, this is far from normal...

I see the following here (also measured with KSysguard, full debug build from
recent master, on top of SuSE 12.2) on my almost never rebooted laptop,
Kontact with 50 corporate calendars and about 10 multi-10k email folders
loaded:

Kontact: 440M
MySQL: 124M
Virtuoso: 67M
IMAP: 49M
Akonadi: 32.8M
Nepomuk (Storage): 17.3M
Nepomuk Feeder: 3.9M (yes, Nepomuk and indexing are enabled!)

Still too much and there's room for improvements in various places, but
nowhere near the extreme numbers you have.

I'm especially surprised that both your MySQL and Virtuoso go way beyond their
respective configured limits. The only way to trigger that I can think of is
the attempt to store a huge object inside the database. And again, that's
limited to 32Mb in the mysql config (so you'd need several rows of that in one
go), and not done by Akonadi in a default configuration (check
~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc for settings regarding external storage or
the size threshold of that). A messed up MySQL config would also be a
(theoretical) option, check ~/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf for the size
limits in there.

regards,
Volker