[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Fri Mar 8 04:13:33 GMT 2013

On Sunday 03 March 2013 12:43 Georg C. F. Greve wrote:

> So, everyone, please think which are the parts that utterly destroy user
> experience to the point of making KDE PIM marketing impossible and then send
> them.

Well I can't think of any parts that bad ;) When reading some of the threads
on this list and on kdepim-users, it often seems like they're using another
PIM suite than I, and I think many of the comments are unfair, inconsiderate,
untrue and as also mentioned here, lacking to see the bigger picture.

To the best of my knowledge I have never lost any data because of Akonadi, but
admittedly it was sometimes a bit annoying for some years, and often
impossible to use without having akonadiconsole open all the time.

That is not necessary on my desktop anymore, but lately I've had to work on my
laptop with a 3G modem, and then I noticed what I think is a MAJOR annoyance,
which I guess can hit a potentially large number of users:

Some agents don't recover gracefully from minor network outages, which
apparently happens a lot when on 3G, even though I don't notice it in my
normal workflow until I wonder how silent my inbox is. I have two online IMAP
accounts, a Gmail account that doesn't seem to suffer from the issue, and one
on my hosting provider which breaks connection all the time. I believe the
latter is a Courier server.
I realize this may not be easy to solve, but it must be possible, since the
DAV agent/resource doesn't suffer from it any longer.

Then I have a NORMAL one that I'm actually not quite sure exists any more, and
tbh. I'm not sure if it's Akonadi or "Plain" Nepomuk: Categories/Tags/Message
Tags or whatever name they go by MUST NOT be empty and MUST be trimmed of
white-space before saving them. That was actually the primary reason that I
started to code for ownCloud, because I wanted to make a backend where that
couldn't happen - slowly getting there :-D
I just checked the message tags in KMail, and there were both empty and non-
trimmed tags, but I'm not sure how long they've been there.
On the subject of tags it makes imo little sense to share them between between
email messages and contacts. They can be overlapping, but they can just as
often be comically out of context.

Lastly a MINOR annoyance: Sometimes message states like for example 'unread'
sticks to a message. Mostly it is enough to mark all messages as read, but
I've also had to delete the message to get rid of the unread mark - Hey,
that's data loss!!! ;)

But all in all I'm a happy KDEPIM camper.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus