[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Mar 3 18:13:57 GMT 2013

On Sunday, 2013-03-03, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 3. März 2013, 16:22:07 schrieb Volker Krause:
> > > And as long as removing the akonadi db is recommended to
> > > fix problems,
> >
> > Deleting the Akonadi database is *not* *recommended*, nor has it ever
> > been recommended officially.
>
> Since it does not make sense to repeat the issue of "officially" vs.
> reality again, here are two blockers from me:
>
> - do not store any kind of configuration in the cache

Actually there is no config in the cache.

> - removing the cache must not mess-up any configuration

It won't. However, as far as I can tell, people here are discussing removing
config and cache by deleting the database that contains both.

Of course going to a level which contains both configuration and data,
deleting at that level will result in deleting of both. Like deleting $KDEHOME
will remove config and data, thus being strongly adviced against by
experienced user supporters but unfortunately brought up regularily by less
experienced people.

> Or to put it differently: stick to the common notion of a cache, i.e. as in
> browser cache, thumbnail cache etc.

Right. This is already the case. I checked the cache and it does only contains
cached data and references to the item the data is cached for.

I am using standard Debian packages, so I would be surprised if this was a
case of distribution differentiation.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring