[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 00:10:40 GMT 2013

On 4 March 2013 03:37, Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:

> > 4) database corruption/file system corruption
>
> Both the database and file system have recovery tools that are
> automatically
> run (by the OS or us, respectively), but let's assume both failed on the
> database and the database only.
>
> In this case you have to manually intervene and bring the system back into
> defined state, which means replaying a previous backup, or removal of the
> entire state if you don't have one. This isn't really any different from a
> corruption somewhere else. If you have a damaged .so, just deleting this
> one
> wont fix the system either.

Also 5) Cache gets out of sync.

If as you say its a cache, then it is inevitably prone to the usual cache
problems of getting out sync, either due to user or developer error
- unforeseen edge cases, environmental issues or plain old bugs. With any
other cache system that I'm aware of you just delete or clear the cache and
let it refresh itself and everyone is happy, users and developers.

But with akonadi that will lead to major ui and data loss issues and I just
don't understand this insistence on keeping it this way. Your approach
seems to be "This will never happen", but it does. And will.

That the "cache" generates unique id's - that have to be used by external
modules such as the filters says to me that its not really a cache. And the
Id's are not unique as they are reused if the cache is cleared, leading to
this whole issue of filters getting messed up. Also the special folders
such as drafts, trash etc.

A proposal  of using Id's generated from the actual FQ folder paths has
been suggested, which are actually unique. I don't understand
the resistance to this. It make the akonadi db a true cache and preserve
peoples configs in case of issue with the db.

--
Lindsay