[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Jos Poortvliet jos at opensuse.org
Tue Mar 19 09:25:48 GMT 2013

On Tuesday 19 March 2013 10:02:17 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Sunday 17 March 2013 19:49:35 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Andras Mantia <amantia at kde.org> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > 1gb

> > > How did you meassure it? And do you use nepomuk for desktop search as
> > > well?
> > >
> > > For me (Memory usage with KSysguard, not the Virtual Size):
> > > Kontact (not only KMail, but also KNode, KOrganizer, etc.): ~800MB
> > > Akonadi server: 131MB
> > > Akonadi IMAP resource 1: 44MB
> > > Akonadi IMAP resource 2: 5MB
> > > Akonadi Maildir resource: 113MB
> > > Akonadi Nepomuk feeder: 48MB
> >
> > Fixed. The feeder is now back to a couple of MB.
> >
> > > Mailfiter agent: 20MB
> > > Kolab proxy: 8.5MB
> > > POP3 resources: 2x4MB
> > > Notes resources: 2x4MB
> > > KABC resource: 4MB
> > > MySql: 370MB
> > >
> > > Total: 1.5GB, but note that this is basically the full PIM suite with
> > > debug build, not only KMail.
> > >
> > > If we add Nepomuk (that technically is not only PIM):
> > >
> > > Nepomuk sotrage: 100MB
> > > Nepomukfilewatch: 11MB
> > > Virtuoso: 231MB
> >
> > Is the storage service really taking 100mb? If you can reproduce this,
> > do
> > you think you could run it in massif for a while so that I can see what
> > is consuming all that memory. It ideally shouldn't go about 20-30mb.
> >
> > Virtuoso is just .. :/
> >
> > > So another 400MB.
> > >
> > > Can we reduce this memory usage? Probably. Although the bits
> > > themselves
> > > are not too much, we could look at what could be done for the bigger
> > > users, like
> > > Maildir (although note that I have 300000 mails under it), the server
> > > and
> > > especially Kontact. Kontact is the top memory usage for me, followed
> > > by
> > > mysql, Xorg, firefox, virutoso, amarok (all these when I don't run
> > > KDevelop ;) ).
> > > We could indeed save on shared database between Nepomuk and Akonadi
> > > once
> > > virtuoso's sql support fits Akonadi's needs.
> > >
> > > Now back to your statement: what kind of memory usage would you feel
> > > acceptable for all this functionality?
> >
> > From a Nepomuk point of view, consuming 50-100mb for all of Nepomuk is
> > acceptable. Anything above that is not. I can bring down the memory
> > usage
> > of all of the Nepomuk parts. I'm not sure what I can do about virtuoso,
> > though.
> >
> > Anyway, we cannot really block the marketing announcements cause Nepomuk
> > is consuming too much memory.
>
> See my 1.5 GB nepomkuservicestub. Any way I can help you debug that? Aside
> from the huge nepomuk feeder, I must admit that Nepomuk is quite OK - the
> other stubs are at 6-7 mb and the servers too. Virtuoso can be big,
> [...]

Btw I don't want to demotivate anyone here - you all know I love you. And
for me, KMail does fine - this is on my desktop and with 8GB of ram I can
handle a bit of memory pressure. On my laptop, the issues aren't as bad
although I have to kquitapp kmail and run akonadictl stop before I can do
video editing. But I do think it's an issue for many people - and it will
have to be addressed at some point...