[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Mar 12 22:09:14 GMT 2013

On Thursday 07 March 2013, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 04:24:25 PM Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > Well, yes, as opposed to be a storage. Item data is not stored in
> > the Akonadi  DB, small parts can be cached there, or kept until
> > they could be written back (offline mode).
> >
> > Maybe it would have been better to just ignore all the trolls who
> > thought they  knew better but at the time it seemed possible to
> > educate at least interested users that data was still stored on
> > servers or locally in open formats.
> >
> > I think it wasn't clear that even those users would then simplify
> > everything  down to just that bit of information and forget every
> > other information available.
>
> This is starting to sound like the "KDE 4.0 was not meant to be used
> by users" story.
>
> At the beginning of the akonadi roll out  It was extensively posted
> that the db was just a cache. It pretty universal in Internet usage
> that a cache is just a cache and clearing it won't have any bad side
> effects. To blame users for assuming common usage of the term is
> disingenuous, it was a mistake to publicly call it that in the first
>  place.

I'm not 100 % sure, but I think that at the beginning of the Akonadi
rollout Akonadi's database indeed contained only cached data. With later
versions of Akonadi this has changed. Does this make the initial
statement made at the beginning of the rollout wrong? I don't think so.
Was the decision to add non-cached data to the DB a mistake? I don't
think so either. Could we have stated more clearly that at some point in
time Akonadi's database started to contain not just cached data?
Probably.

Assuming that statements made in the past stay true forever is
dangerous. That's something everybody should keep in mind.

Communicating that statements made in the past are no longer correct is
important. That's something we need to keep in mind.

Regards,
Ingo