[Kde-pim] Displaying Kleopatra windows on top

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Jul 30 22:28:14 BST 2013

On Tuesday, 2013-07-30, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 05:36:20 PM Anne Wilson wrote:
> > The recommended way is to use the KWin settings - right click on the
> > title bar of the window > More Actions > Keep Above Others.
>
> Scratches my itch :) but I was hoping for something more general that the
> casual user wouldn't have to research.

One thing that is possible (at least on X11) is to tell the window manager
about the relation of windows from different processes.
For that you would need to send the window ID of the "parent" window to the
process that should open the "child" window and have it mark its window
accordingly.

You can see that being used in a couple of Akonadi resources, which get the
window ID of the program initiating the configuration request and use
KWindowSystem::setMainWindow() to associate their top level config window with
the caller's window.

I guess in an ideal case the widget that shows the information you want to
display would be available in a library and allow applications to embed it
anyway the would see fit.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring