[Kde-pim] "Resource is damaged"

O. Sinclair sinclair at orionweb.info
Thu Jul 25 07:52:34 BST 2013

On Wednesday 24 July 2013 11:12 PM Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> First of all, I'm new here, but far from new to KMail. I'd been using
> KMail/Kontact for at least 8 years and had always been very happy with it --
> in terms of functionality, ease-of-use, customizability and performance
>
> However, when I have first tried using the new Akonadi-based KMail some
> years ago, it was unusable to me. Migration wizard didn't migrate filters,
> there were duplicate and missing e-mails after migration, there were
> problems with transports and resources... As e-mail has been and still is
> the most important tool in my line of work I decided that Akonadi must
> mature a bit before I can start using it. I happily got back to KMail
> 1.13.x.
>
> Last week my distro introduced an upgrade from KMail 1.13.x to 4.10.5. I
> decided to try (after doing a full back-up, of course). Migration wizard
> went through and...
>
> ...I got the very same, identical even, problems I had years ago! Missing e-
> mails, duplicate e-mails, several-second delay between clicking on a folder
> and seeing the contents; finally -- resources being marked "damaged"
> causing KMail to completely stop working (I can click on folder names, but
> the contents never get displayed) and me losing access to ~50k e-mails.
>
> But I also got new problems -- password dialogue showing out of focus (so
> that I need to take my hands off of keyboard and onto the mouse, click, get
> back to keyboard and type-in the password; annoying if  have to do it
> several dozen times a day), for one.
>
> So my question is:
>  - what is the state of Akonadi and KMail 4.x?
>  - how can I get my e-mail resource fixed so that I could start using my
>    e-mail client again?
>
> I can revert to the backup and downgrade KMail again, of course, if you'd
> say this is the best course of action.
I think mabye kdepim-users at kde.org would be a better forum for this question
but even so:
personally I gave up on migrating when I upgraded (though that was quite some
time ago). I moved my original mailfolders to something like ~/oldmails/ and
made a fresh start with Kmail2. Set up my accounts and imported all old mail,
redid my filters (who would be pointing to wrong folders in any case as the
format changed if I remember correctly.

Note that at the time I only used pop accounts so had all mail I wanted stored
locally on my disk.

there is a long thread on this recently on kdepim-users where you might find
more useful information. There is old information on this on the Kubuntu
website that could still be useful:
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/OneiricOcelot/Final/Kubuntu/Kmail2

good luck
Sinclair