[Kde-pim] "Resource is damaged"

Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak rysiek at fwioo.pl
Wed Jul 24 22:12:43 BST 2013

Hi there,

First of all, I'm new here, but far from new to KMail. I'd been using
KMail/Kontact for at least 8 years and had always been very happy with it --
in terms of functionality, ease-of-use, customizability and performance

However, when I have first tried using the new Akonadi-based KMail some years
ago, it was unusable to me. Migration wizard didn't migrate filters, there
were duplicate and missing e-mails after migration, there were problems with
transports and resources... As e-mail has been and still is the most important
tool in my line of work I decided that Akonadi must mature a bit before I can
start using it. I happily got back to KMail 1.13.x.

Last week my distro introduced an upgrade from KMail 1.13.x to 4.10.5. I
decided to try (after doing a full back-up, of course). Migration wizard went
through and...

...I got the very same, identical even, problems I had years ago! Missing e-
mails, duplicate e-mails, several-second delay between clicking on a folder
and seeing the contents; finally -- resources being marked "damaged" causing
KMail to completely stop working (I can click on folder names, but the
contents never get displayed) and me losing access to ~50k e-mails.

But I also got new problems -- password dialogue showing out of focus (so that
I need to take my hands off of keyboard and onto the mouse, click, get back to
keyboard and type-in the password; annoying if  have to do it several dozen
times a day), for one.

So my question is:
 - what is the state of Akonadi and KMail 4.x?
 - how can I get my e-mail resource fixed so that I could start using my
   e-mail client again?

I can revert to the backup and downgrade KMail again, of course, if you'd say
this is the best course of action.

--
Pozdrawiam
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Fundacja Wolnego i Otwartego Oprogramowania