[Kde-pim] Implementation of KHolidays in Calendar

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 21:51:00 BST 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM, John Layt <john at layt.net> wrote:

> On 29 July 2013 12:54, Heena Mahour <heena393 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all ,
> > I am working on qmlify plasmoids in Gsoc13 .I would like to know if you
> > could suggest an approachable(a bit simpler though :p ) and efficient way
> > to implement kholidays in my qml calendar .I am working with Mark
> > Gaiser'calendar component .(It would be really a great help!)
>
> Hi Heena,
>
> It depends on what you mean by implementing KHolidays?  Do you mean
> simply adding supporting for calling the KHolidays api to display
> holidays?  Or were you thinking something more advanced?
>
> The best way for plasmoids to use KHolidays is via the Calendar
> DataEngine, same as the current calendar plasmoid does.  The docs for
> that are at
> http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kde-workspace-apidocs/plasma/generic/dataengines/html/classCalendarEngine.html
> .
>
> If you're wanting the qml component to be more generic and not just a
> plasmoid then you will need to use the KHolidays api directly.  I've
> never done qml, but I think you'd need bindings to do that?
>
> Whatever you do, don't try read the holiday files yourself, they're a
> mess and are slated to be replaced in 5.0 with something more modern
> like json.
>
> You can find some documentation at
> http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/KHolidays and at
> http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Clock, the latter has documentation on
> new features we'd like in the Plasma Clock/Calendar, such as being
> able to add events to the calendar, the #1 most requested feature in
> all of KDE :-)
>
> Cheers!
>
> John.

Hi john,

you're talking about the current way to use KHolidays in plasmoids, but
that's not what this is about. The project Heena is doing is re-creating
the calendar popup in QML. For that she needs to use my components that
expose calendar events in QML through a few special QML components (the
ones we worked on during the last KDEPIM meeting).

As we also discussed back then, it would be ideal if KHolidays could also
be fetched from Akonadi as a special type of calendar events perhaps. That
is exactly what this stuff is about and how it should be implemented.

I think those events should just be returned by akonadi when events are
fetched. Calendar events should probably just be part of the event stream.

But that's what this is about. I don't know akonadi well enough to know how
this should be implemented so i hope you folks could discuss this and give
your view on how to best implement this.

Big note: Only rewriting the calendar popup in a feature parity manner is
already big enough for a GSoC project, adding in KHolidays is probably also
big enough for a GSoC project so i'm not really sure if it's fair to let
Heena do all of this. It might be simply too much for one GSoC.

Note 2: about your top 1 feature request for adding/editing calendar
events. The editing part just became possible in my components about 2 days
ago. Thus far it can only edit the summary and description, but the heavy
work is done. The rest is simply exposing functions and properties.

Cheers,
Mark