[Kde-pim] Terminology Change: "HTML" -> "Rich Text"

Adrián Chaves Fernández adriyetichaves at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 19:01:50 BST 2013

> Who is to say we won't support rtf (the *real* rich text format) in the
> future? ;-)

In that case, I would definitely go with “Rich text (HTML)”.

> > Saying the generic string “Rich text” is invalid because users might think
> > it’s the RTF format is like saying that using “System Settings” as a
> > generic name in GNOME is invalid because users might think it’s KDE
> > SystemSettings.
> I disagree. Labeling "Rich Text" something that is a different thing (html)
> is incorrect. It might be something we agree to use and accept because
> it'll be understandable for the average Joe, however, It's still "wrong"
> nontheless.

HTML is a markup language which in the context of emails is used to write rich
text (as in text with richer features than plain text). Not only I think it is “right”
to call it right text, but you could actually argue that it is more correct than
“HTML”, as users do not write HTML, users write rich text that happens to be
HTML underneath.

Imaging the discussion being about calling C++ code “source code”, instead of
“C++”. Both “source code” and “C++” would be right.

In our case, we deal with users that might not understand the most specific term,
HTML, so we need a generic one that any user can understand.

Again, “Rich text (HTML)” should cover our asses for any type of users, as well as
supporting rich text formats other than HTML in the future, so I would go with
that.

> PS: would it be rude to ask not to top post in the future, please?

It’s actually quite the opposite. I was not aware of people in the mailing list not
liking top-posting, and if it weren’t for your comment I would keep doing it,
victim of that ignorance. So thanks :)

I’m used to top posting, specially when what I write does not require a quote to
be understood, but I still want readers to be able to get some context if they
need to. But I can do that with bottom-posting as well.