[Kde-pim] Investigating DAV ressource issues with cancelled events

Philipp Schmidt philipp at schmidt-rheinhausen.de
Tue Jul 2 14:31:42 BST 2013

Hi all,

as KOrganizer is now capable of (or rather: not) displaying Events that
have an exception event with STATUS=CANCELLED (See Bug 282591) I now
investigated why the behaviour for carddav-calendars is still very
different to that of the ical-ressource. Some things I have already
mentioned in the corresponding Bug 296489, some more I wish to comment
and elaborate on here.

First the setting: An OwnCloud server 4.5.x. When Cancelling an event
recurrence (Using an additional event with STATUS=CANCELLED) the
corresponding, additional event is stored in the same ics-file as the
original event. So now the ics for said event has 2 VEVENT sections, one
for the exception (first VEVENT) and the actual recurring event (second
VEVENT).

The behaviour that I have noticed and confirmed in the source (assuming
that my understanding is correct) is that the DAV-ressource assumes that
only 1 VEVENT shall be present in the ics provided by the carddav-server
(in my case owncloud 4.5, I have no possibility to check with others).
(See kdepim-runtime/resources/dav/common/davitemsfetchjob.cpp line 140
and others, refers to dataElement.firstChild() or firstChildElementNS()
only)

The result in my case is that only the CANCELLED VEVENT is inserted into
the akonadi DB, which on the other hand is contradictory to the
firstChild() theory, as the ics downloaded from the server contains the
cancelled VEVENT after the original. But the fact remains that only one
VEVENT seems to be processed.

Now as the ics resource creates separate items in the DB for the
original event and every cancelled recurrence in the file the same
should happen with the carddav-ressource.

I hope someone can look into this and confirm my suspicions and
hopefully fix this before the 4.11 release so that events that contain
cancelled recurrences (created using for example android phones or
thunderbird on the server) can finally be displayed correctly under
korganizer.

Cheers,
Philipp