[Kde-pim] switching distributions, but keeping KDE... how do i migrate my email?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Jan 4 14:31:10 GMT 2013

On Friday, 2013-01-04, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> You can still pick up the mail and KMail from KDEPIM 1 may recreate most of
> the metadata from the maildir storage or IMAP server, but I am not sure
> whether that includes all metadata.
>
> So careful there. And I bet manual stepts involved. Possibly even
> configuring KMail from start, since AFAIK KMail 2 uses a different
> configuration file.

One thing to also consider is if the two distributions use different user-
local directories for config and/or data.
Debian normally uses KDE's default, i.e. $HOME/.kde/, while some distributions
use $HOME/.kde4/

In such cases directories and/or files might have to be copyied or renamed to
be where the target's KDE version expects them to be, or changes need to be
manually re-applied and data imported.

Cheers.
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring