[Kde-pim] Favourites and Advanced Folders Links wrong after deleting akonadi db

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Mon Feb 18 18:15:55 GMT 2013

Am Sonntag, 17. Februar 2013, 23:37:16 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > Yes. This was reported already but not seen as valid. You simply must not
> > delete your db without deleting everything else.
>
> Or without fixing the config files. :)
>
> > Back then I suggested to not rely on "unique" numbers, i.e. 1,2,3,4...
> > within the akonadi db but create real unique numbers or at least save a
> > unique number in the config and db and check whether they match when
> > starting akonadi. this would allow to prevent this kind of trouble and
> > even data loss, e.g. because messages are moved to some folder, e.g. the
> > trash.
>
> I might have missed (or forgot) the discussion. The solution would be to
> identify the folders based on remoteId. But remoteId is unique only inside a
> certain folder, so the code will be somewhat more complex (you would
> basically need to store a full path of remoteId's). It is doable, but the
> problem is as always: somebody needs to code it, including with upgrade
> scripts for existing configuration files.

That's not the easiest fix/solution. Of course it would be nice if everything
falls into place, even if one removes a corrupted database etc. but the fix to
prevent filters etc. being assigned to random folders without the user
noticing it but by some "lost" emails is a lot simpler.

When an akonadi database is created it should include one unique ID. This can
even be added to already existing set-ups. The ID enables each application
that uses akonadi to get that ID from the akonadi DB the first time it
accesses it and store it in the app's config.

If the akonadi DB is removed it will be re-created with a different ID. Apps
using akonadi can check whether the DB's unique ID matches the ID they have
stored. Like a token.

If the IDs do not match the app notifies the user that all references to
akonadi might be screwed-up. Now the user knows and can check the folders etc.
The next improvement would be to offer to go offline in order to prevent
filters kicking in before the user has the chance to sort them out.

As already mentioned there are of course better solutions to the issue, e.g.
removing all resources that are not truly unique by the app or even using real
unique IDs and thus being able to fix the the references without any user
interaction. But the first step would be to make it possible to identify the
akonadi DB by a real unique ID.

Sven