[Kde-pim] New QTimeZone class for Qt 5.1

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Wed Feb 20 23:28:16 GMT 2013

Hi,

For the last few weeks I've been working on a new QTimeZone class to be
integrated into QDateTime for Qt 5.1.  I'll be putting this up on a Qt Gerrit
feature branch hopefully by the end of this week so reviews can be completed
in time for the Qt 5.1 feature freeze.  This is an important requirement for
KDE Frameworks 5 and kdepimlibs 5 as it allows us to replace any use of
KDateTime and/or KTimeZone in our api's and code with QDateTime.

The design and implementation of the class is deliberately simple for the 5.1
release, the api is almost the minimum required based on an analysis of the
usage of the KTimeZone api outside KDateTime.  It certainly lacks the many
performance and caching features of KTimeZone.  However at the least it
provides a sufficient container for QDateTime to be used in our api with no
loss of time zone details.

I still have a lot of bug and edge case fixes to implement, and tests and docs
to do, but I think the api and functionality is now complete so I would
appreciate if people could have a look at it and make any suggestions while
they're still easy to fix.  Once the code is in gerrit any changes have to go
through a code review.

[1] http://qt.gitorious.org/~odysseus/qt/odysseus-qtbase/commits/qtimezone

Cheers!

John.