[Kde-pim] Current status of MS Exchange support in KDE PIM

Daniel Kreuter daniel.kreuter85 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 19:19:58 GMT 2013

On Wednesday 04 December 2013 10:09:05 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> sorry for the late reply, I was hoping that someone involved in the Exchange
> endevour would reply themselves.

> I think people have tried several approaches, not sure if SOAP was already
> one of them and if code exists for that already.
>
> I've looked for a couple of previous threads on that topic, maybe there is
> something helpful for you in there:
> http://lists.kde.org/?t=132180249500003&r=1&w=2
> http://lists.kde.org/?t=133734538300001&r=1&w=2
> http://lists.kde.org/?t=135028917700002&r=1&w=2
> http://lists.kde.org/?t=135823930900004&r=1&w=2
> http://lists.kde.org/?t=136588995100001&r=1&w=2

They first ones don't seem very promising (mapi would propable work but ews
seems to be the way to go imho)
The last ones (except the last link) seem quite promising, but would propably
need some rework and merging I think.

Currently I'm trying to set up a windows server in a virtual machine with MS
Exchange for testing, only thing: I have only a test license of the server
(but a full one of Exchange from my study times) so I need to find a working
solution here (hopefully the test license won't cause the system to be
unuseable once expired).

> Might have overlooked some though.
>
> > The mails will be stored in Akonadi so we are able to a) index them with
> > nepomuk and b) access the emails / calendar / contacts from plasma
> > applets,
> > calendar or whatever you can imagine. At least this is the plan.
>
> Exchange support seems to be an elusive thing but of course it would be
> great to have.

MS Exchange is the most used groupware solution out there in the market.
That's quite sad but happily Microsoft created the EWS API with Exchange
version 2007+ so there is the possibility for us to use these. And with kdsoap
from KDAB this shouldn't be that difficult to achieve I think.

> Cheers,
> Kevin

Cheers,

Daniel