[Kde-pim] Request: disable CI mails on the pim list

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Dec 24 20:18:35 GMT 2013

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 1:34 AM, Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2013-12-24, 21:39:02, Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> As previously noted, if the tests weren't fixed I would be revoking
>> the execution of tests from kdepim.
>> This has now been done.
>
> I am not sure what the point of that would be. Continuous Integration without
> running the automatable tests is not really that helpful.
> I mean, sure, it will detect build errors such as files not having been
> comimtted, but that is usually just a nice by-product of how CI systems work.
>
> Do failing tests somehow impact the CI system such that it can no longer work
> as expected? Do they result in CI reports for other modules?

They have no impact, every "job" on the CI system is self-contained,
as far as tests are concerned anyway (the resulting binaries may end
up being used by other projects which depend on the project being
built for instance)

The primary issue here is that none of the PIM developers appear to
actively care about the test results from the CI system. It sent a
stackload of notices concerning the failing test to this list, and yet
nothing was done even after the defective commit was pointed out.

A CI system is only useful if people pay attention to it, otherwise it
may as well not exist.

> Cheers,
> Kevin
> --
> Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer
> KDE user support, developer mentoring

Ben