[Kde-pim] KMail 4.11 does not work for me

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Aug 19 20:29:40 BST 2013

On Monday 19 August 2013 08:08:21 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Sunday 18 of August 2013 23:09:01 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > KMail 4.11 (openSUSE 12.3) is unusable for me. When I select a
> > message in an IMAP folder all I get is the "Retrieving Folder
> > Contents, Please wait . . ." message. On stdout/stderr repeatly
> >
> >   kmail2(26325) MailCommon::Kernel::initFolders: Initialized and
> >   looking>
> > for specialcollection folders.
> > is logged. When I try to quit KMail it does not exit. I have to use
> >
> >   qdbus org.kde.kmail2 /MainApplication org.kde.KApplication.quit
> >
> > to shut it down.
>
> Hi,
>
> someone had the similar problem recently. It turned out he somehow
> ended up with a duplicated special collection (inbox, outbox, etc.)
> [0].
>
> The solution is to open akonadiconsole and in the browser tab check
> for the duplicated collection and delete the duplicate.

Thanks for the hint. I guess I found the duplicated collection. There's
an akonadi_maildir_resource_0. Probably a left-over of the migration. I
remember some log message about changing the special collection to my
migrated old local folder tree.

Hmm, the remoteId of akonadi_maildir_resource_0 is
/home/ingo/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0
This folder doesn't even exist.

> > Because of those problem with KMail 4.11 I tried to use KMail 4.10
> > (self compiled kdepimlibs, kdepim-runtime, kdepim) with KDE 4.11.
> > KMail 4.10 shows the content of the messages, but newly read
> > messages stay unread and deleted messages stay in the folder.
> > Neither switching folders nor forcing an update (F5) helps. Only a
> > restart of KMail helps. After the restart read messages are no
> > longer marked as unread and deleted messages are no longer shown in
> > the folder. IIRC this behavior occurs with KMail 4.10 and
> > everything else (including the Akonadi agents) from KDE 4.11.
> >
> > Using Akonadi agents and KMail from 4.10 with Akonadi 4.11 proved to
> > be worse because even after a restart of KMail read messages were
> > still marked as unread and deleted messages were not deleted.
> > Those observations seem to point to incompatiblities between Akonadi
> > 4.11 and KMail 4.10. Of course, being out of the loop of KDE PIM
> > development, my assumptions could be completely wrong.
>
> Akonadi has versioning and release cycle independent of KDE SC (we are
> at 1.10.2 ATM). Can you please check what is the real version of
> Akonadi which that causes this problems?

The openSUSE build of 4.11 comes with Akonadi 1.10.2.

4.10 with Akonadi 1.9.2 does not show the problem.

I'll upgrade again to 4.11/1.10.2 and report back.

Regards,
Ingo