[Kde-pim] KMail 4.11 does not work for me

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Aug 19 22:53:01 BST 2013

On Monday 19 August 2013 21:29:40 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 19 August 2013 08:08:21 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > On Sunday 18 of August 2013 23:09:01 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > KMail 4.11 (openSUSE 12.3) is unusable for me. When I select a
> > > message in an IMAP folder all I get is the "Retrieving Folder
> > > Contents, Please wait . . ." message. On stdout/stderr repeatly
> > >
> > >   kmail2(26325) MailCommon::Kernel::initFolders: Initialized and
> > >   looking>
> > >
> > > for specialcollection folders.
> > > is logged. When I try to quit KMail it does not exit. I have to
> > > use
> > >
> > >   qdbus org.kde.kmail2 /MainApplication org.kde.KApplication.quit
> > >
> > > to shut it down.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > someone had the similar problem recently. It turned out he somehow
> > ended up with a duplicated special collection (inbox, outbox, etc.)
> > [0].
> >
> > The solution is to open akonadiconsole and in the browser tab check
> > for the duplicated collection and delete the duplicate.
>
> Thanks for the hint. I guess I found the duplicated collection.
> There's an akonadi_maildir_resource_0. Probably a left-over of the
> migration. I remember some log message about changing the special
> collection to my migrated old local folder tree.
>
> Hmm, the remoteId of akonadi_maildir_resource_0 is
> /home/ingo/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0
> This folder doesn't even exist.

Before removing this resource I had a look at the special collection
with DB Console in akonadiconsole. See attached screenshot. As you can
see there are several trash and sent-mail collections, but only one
inbox and outbox collection.

None of those collections was associated with akonadi_maildir_resource_0
so it's probably not surprising that removing this resource didn't help.
It still takes several minutes until the selected message is shown in
the preview pane.

Maybe related to this: kmail, akonadiserver, and mysqld are jointly
hogging more than one core:

  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
23268 ingo      20   0 1538m 100m 3368 S 45.4  5.1  22:53.87
/usr/sbin/mysqld --defaults-file=/home/ingo/.local/share/akona...
23266 ingo      20   0 1630m  12m 3240 S 33.1  0.7  17:35.91
akonadiserver
27296 ingo      20   0 2015m 139m  51m S 32.5  7.0  10:12.12 kmail

FWIW, I'm back to 4.10 since it was impossible to send this message with
4.11.

Regards,
Ingo