[Kde-pim] Stuck on session restore

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Aug 11 11:07:14 BST 2013

On Sunday, 2013-08-11, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 07:24:00 PM Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > When the application is started manually or when restoring?
> > Or differently phrased: is the splash screen interfering with restore or
> > session safe?
>
> It triggers the saveState prematurely in both cases, but heres the logging
> I added from a session restore (I also override saveState so I could see
> when it was invoked).

So it is something that is triggered at restore, right?

> Looking through the code the order of events is:
>
> * Start App
> * Show Splash
> * Init non UI stuff
> * Close Spash
> * newInstance
>   - Create Main Window
> * app.exec
>
> Given the Spash Window is the the only top level window when it is created
> and closed, I presume thats what triggers the saveState

If I interpret your findings to tell us that the splashscreen is interfering
with session restore, not normal startup, wouldn't it be possible to just not
use the splashscreen on restore?

Normal startup -> splash
Restore startup -> no splash

Assuming of course that QApplication::isSessionRestored() can be used to
distinguish between the two types of startup.

Cheers,
Keivn
KDE user support, developer mentoring