[Kde-pim] Executing contact and event results

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Aug 21 14:07:48 BST 2013

On Wednesday, 2013-08-21, Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On Monday 19 August 2013 19.51:32 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> > Hey guys
> >
> > Nepomuk is used to search for "events" or "contact" which correspond to
> > Akonadi events/contacts, I can present the results to the user, but when
> > they select the result, what should be done?
> >
> > Currently, I just kio exec on the akonadi url. This calls the akonadi url
> > which in turn opens the contents of the vcard/calendar event in kwrite.
> > This, obviously, is horrible for the users.
> >
> > What would be the correct way of fixing this? Also, which applications
> > should be used to open contact and events? KAddressbook offers no way to
> > just show a contact. Should such a feature be added?
> >
> > KOrganizer does allow one to just open a file with the -o option, but
> > that doesn't seem to work too well with Akonadi urls.

> I think it would make most sense to have the relevant application opened up
> to display the contact, mail, event, and I suppose the simples solution is
> to add a command line argument taking an akonadi url.

Both KAddressBook as well as KOrganizer already specify that they can take
URLs as commadline options (kaddressbook.desktop says %u, i.e.one URI,
korganizer.desktop says %U, i.e. a list of URIs).

In the case of KAddressBook the missing thing seems to be the MIME type entry,
KOrganizer's entry could probably be extended to include the Akonadi sub
types.

> Alternatively we could create a PIM-data viewer which could display the
> item read-only and only fire up the full application if it's required to
> edit etc. I'm not sure if the advantages would be large enough though, and
> opening the item in the main application is in any case required at some
> point.

That might be preferably in some occasions, e.g. not having to start KMail to
view a single message.

One other thing we migth want to consider is Dolphin Preview plugins.

> So I think we should add the command line arguments to korganizer and
> kaddressbook (and kmail if required). I'm not in favor of opening whole
> Kontact everytime although that would also be an option.

Good point, but I think the apps are traditionally single-instance.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring