[Kde-pim] Executing contact and event results

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 21 13:53:13 BST 2013

On Monday 19 August 2013 19.51:32 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> Hey guys
>
> Nepomuk is used to search for "events" or "contact" which correspond to
> Akonadi events/contacts, I can present the results to the user, but when
> they select the result, what should be done?
>
> Currently, I just kio exec on the akonadi url. This calls the akonadi url
> which in turn opens the contents of the vcard/calendar event in kwrite.
> This, obviously, is horrible for the users.
>
> What would be the correct way of fixing this? Also, which applications
> should be used to open contact and events? KAddressbook offers no way to
> just show a contact. Should such a feature be added?
>
> KOrganizer does allow one to just open a file with the -o option, but that
> doesn't seem to work too well with Akonadi urls.

Hey,

I think it would make most sense to have the relevant application opened up to
display the contact, mail, event, and I suppose the simples solution is to add
a command line argument taking an akonadi url.

Alternatively we could create a PIM-data viewer which could display the item
read-only and only fire up the full application if it's required to edit etc.
I'm not sure if the advantages would be large enough though, and opening the
item in the main application is in any case required at some point.

So I think we should add the command line arguments to korganizer and
kaddressbook (and kmail if required). I'm not in favor of opening whole
Kontact everytime although that would also be an option.

Cheers,
Christian