[Kde-pim] imap resource is endlessly syncing and maxing my bandwidth

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Aug 24 22:43:21 BST 2013

Hi,

Sascha Cunz wrote:

> Thank you so much for this answer, Andras. With this information (and the
> new(?) display in kmail's status bar that translates to "downloading
> missing message bodies") I finally start to realize why the
> synchronization of my disconnected imap is so slow and (In
> Akonadi-Console) always seemed to be repetive.
>
> Somewhen in the past I had used a not-so-good combination of Akonadi and
> DBMail. During that time I've lost many mail's content (body) and I now
> have approximately 40000 mails distributed over some folders in my IMAP
> account that do not have neither headers nor a body.

Unfortunately past bugs could cause mail without bodies. I have a few of
them....

> I never realized that this would actually be a problem. But your
> explanation makes it pretty obvious.
>
> So, I'm now wondering: Are you planning to add a "I have already tried to
> download this mail's body"-flag to the akonadi database?

I'm not sure what would be the good solution. A mail without body is mostly
useless, but of course automatic removal is not good.
The reason of introducing the "missing body checker" is because two issues:
1) (again due to bugs) you could end up with bodies not cached in
disconnected imap, meaning you can't read your mail while your offline. Hit
me hard a few times while I was on the road...

2) makes possible to switch and online imap account to a disconnected one,
as the difference between them is basically what is permanently cached
(online doesn't cache the body).

Unfortunately there is no way to differentiate between a mail that doesn't
have a body and a mail that does have, but is not cached. We could introduce
indeed some heuristics that if the body is not there also after a full sync,
flag the mail as problematic, but I didn't consider this to be a big
problem. Maybe it is...

> Also: Is there an easy way to identify those mails and remove them? I've
> since switched to dovecot, so I should probably be able to isolate those
> mails in the server's filesystem. But - of course - I would prefer a not
> so invasive way of doing that.

It is possible to do some database query to find them, but you'd need to
delete them manually.

http://www.afiestas.org/kdepim-sprint-2-understanding-and-diagnosing-akonadi/ should give a hint.

Andras