[Kde-pim] imap resource is endlessly syncing and maxing my bandwidth

Sascha Cunz sascha-ml at babbelbox.org
Fri Aug 23 19:16:41 BST 2013

> Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> > akonadi/nepomuk/pim from master:
> >
> > Yesterday my folder content seemed to go missing in action - all at once,
> > and the imap resource resynced everything (disconnected mode).
[...]
> This looks serious and I wonder why does it restart. One cause could be the
> missing body checker that downloads again the mail if it has no body. It
> *can* cause endless downloads if you have mails without bodies in some way
> on the server. A possibility would be to turn off your connection and check
> the content of the folder and the mails on it. Also in akonadiconsole check
> the body checker tabs what is going on there.
>
> Andras

Thank you so much for this answer, Andras. With this information (and the new(?)
display in kmail's status bar that translates to "downloading missing message bodies")
I finally start to realize why the synchronization of my disconnected imap is so slow
and (In Akonadi-Console) always seemed to be repetive.

Somewhen in the past I had used a not-so-good combination of Akonadi and DBMail.
During that time I've lost many mail's content (body) and I now have approximately
40000 mails distributed over some folders in my IMAP account that do not have
neither headers nor a body.

I never realized that this would actually be a problem. But your explanation makes it
pretty obvious.

So, I'm now wondering: Are you planning to add a "I have already tried to download
this mail's body"-flag to the akonadi database?

Also: Is there an easy way to identify those mails and remove them? I've since
switched to dovecot, so I should probably be able to isolate those mails in the server's
filesystem. But - of course - I would prefer a not so invasive way of doing that.

Sascha