[Kde-pim] Kontact Touch GSOC Project - mentor needed

Michael Bohlender michael.bohlender at kdemail.net
Wed Apr 10 15:12:31 BST 2013

> Just one nitpick: Though I think it's okay to focus on optimization for
> landscape mode, it's important that the UI is flexible enough to at least
> work okay in portrait mode as well. PA currently already supports screen
> rotation (though it might not be released with PA 4 yet) and no application
> should break in portrait mode, so that it a requirement.

+1
We have to keep portrait mode in mind and design for it. The end result
will not have separate working portrait mode UI but maybe mockups for it.

> You mention that this will probably be the only year where you can
> participate in GSoC. Does that mean that you won't have much time for PA
> development afterwards in general, or just not enough for time for another
> GSoC? Many KDE projects have had the experience of GSoC students who
> vanished right after their project was done, most of the time leaving
> unmaintained, rotting code behind. I hope this won't be the case with you,
> even though you cannot do another GSoC ;)

I want to keep contributing to Plasma Active / Kontact Touch after GSoC and
view this as an opportunity to lay the groundwork for future development.
The reason I probably wont be able to apply for  GSoC another year is that
its schedule works really bad with my German university schedule. I am
usually packed with exams during July but not this year. :)